Wednesday, September 23, 2009

CURE Childhood Cancer Honors John Michael Osborne

September is National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. Join us today, September 23, 2009 as CURE Childhood Cancer honors CURE Kid John Michael Osborne. Join our fight as CURE’s Kids Conquer Cancer One Day at a Time! Donate to John Michael’s Fund. 

John Michael’s Story:

I was diagnosed with Acute Myloid Leukemia (AML) on January 5, 2005 when I was thirteen. Although I had very few symptoms, 95% of my bone marrow was malignant cancer. I was hospitalized the next day for my first round of chemotherapy. I stayed for over a month fighting the side effects of my various chemo drugs. My next bone marrow aspiration showed me to be cancer free! Because AML is so aggressive, we had lots more to do before the battle was over to keep it from coming back. I had three more rounds of chemo to wipe out all of the marrow (even the healthy) in my bones, to prepare for a bone marrow transplant (BMT). My sister turned out to be a good enough match to donate her bone marrow. After her surgery, where two surgeons removed marrow from 100 different places along her hip bones, I was transfused with this life saving blood producer. 10 days later I was in ICU fighting for my life. I had developed several life threatening side effects from the chemo and BMT, including Graft versus Host Disease (GvHD), blindness, diabetes, VOD (liver failure), and Avascular Neucrosis (AVN). I have had almost 200 blood and platelet transfusions, taken more pills than we can count, had two central lines and a portacath, spent more time in the hospital than at home the year of my diagnosis, had 7 bone marrow aspirations, drove to Atlanta from my home, 4 hours away, once a week, for several months, lived in Atlanta for 3 months during my BMT, missed being in school full-time for almost two years after my diagnosis, had two hip surgeries to help my AVN, had two hip replacements, repeated my childhood immunizations, and been isolated from friends and family for long periods of time.

Through all this I have grown closer to my family and to God. I know He has a purpose for my life. Cancer is not the title to the book of my life, it is merely a chapter. Even though I have been lucky to become cancer free, lots of kids every year don’t make it. We have to fight for the day when there is a CURE for every kid diagnosed with cancer. We also have to aggressively pursue CURES with less side effects.

John Michael’s story in his own words

About September & CURE’S Kids Conquer Cancer One Day at a Time:

September is recognized as National Childhood Cancer Awareness Month. This September, CURE Childhood Cancer has committed to raising awareness and raising money to help find a cure for childhood cancer in our lifetime and put an end to this terrible disease through a special program CURE’s Kids Conquer Cancer One Day at a Time!

Please help us in our goal of raising $30,000 in the month of September while honoring special CURE kids each day of the month who have been affected by childhood cancer.

For more information, please click here.

About CURE Childhood Cancer:

Founded in 1975, CURE Childhood Cancer is dedicated to conquering childhood cancer through research, education and support of patients and their families. Since its establishment as a grass-roots organization, CURE has focused its efforts on improving the care, quality of life, and survival rate of children with cancer.

The founders, parents and a dedicated pediatric oncologist, joined forces to support laboratory research that would translate into immediate care for children with cancer.

Since that time, CURE has raised millions of dollars to fund cutting edge research at the Aflac Cancer Center Blood Disorders Service at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta and Emory University School of Medicine.

Through innovative programming, CURE also provides support for stricken families, providing them comfort and support during their time of devastating need.

Donate to John Michael’s Fund 

Visit us online at www.curechildhoodcancer.org for more information.

No comments:

Post a Comment